COVID-19 Leaves of Absences and Accommodations
Leave Resources Heading link
Resources for FFCRA Leaves
- Processing and Reporting COVID-19 Restored Sick Leave and Retroactive Paid Administrative Leave (11/29/2022)
- COVID-19 Restored/Retroactive Leave
- FFCRA/ARPA Leave Updates (10/14/2021)
- COVID-19 Leave Extended For October 1-31 (9/27/2021)
- University of Illinois System HR Families First Coronavirus Response Act
- COVID-19 Paid Administrative Leave – Employee Certification form (for leaves on or after 4/5/2022)
- COVID-19 Restored/Retroactive Leave Employee Certification form
- Temporary Coronavirus Paid Leave Employee Certification form (for leaves on or after 1/9/2022)
- FFCRA Employee Certification Form (for leaves 4/1/2021 through 9/30/2021)
- FFCRA Employee Certification Form (for leaves through 3/31/2021)
- UPB PARIS Resource Page – job aids to assist in payroll adjustments using new COVID-19 earn codes
- UIC HR COVID-19 Resource Guide (for leaves effective 4/5/2022 until further notice)
- UIC HR COVID-19 Resource Guide (for leaves 10/1/2021 until 4/4/2022)
- UIC HR COVID-19 Resource Guide (for leaves 4/1/2021 through 9/30/2021)
- UIC HR COVID-19 Resource Guide (for leaves 4/1/2020-3/31/2021)
- Navigating COVID-19 Leaves Webinar (4/22/2020)
- Navigating COVID-19 Leaves Webinar Presentation Slides
Employee Leave policies Heading link
A. The following leave policies continue to apply:
- 801-04 Sick Leave for Support Staff Employees
- 801-05 Sick Leave for Academic Employees
- 806-01 Special Leave of Absence for Support Staff
- 806-02 Family and Medical Leave
General information about Leave available to employees is found here: https://www.hr.uillinois.edu/leave/
B. Families First Coronavirus Response Act (FFCRA) – Expired September 30, 2021
The Families First Coronavirus Response Act signed into law effective April 1, 2020, was created to help protect families and workers during the COVID-19 outbreak including the Emergency Paid Sick Leave Act, amending the Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993. Employees are eligible for the benefits defined in the Families First Coronavirus Response Act, provided they meet the qualifying criteria outlined in the Act.
UI POLICY ON FFCRA: https://www.hr.uillinois.edu/leave/coronavirus_response_act
University of Illinois Families First Coronavirus Response Act (FFCRA) Leave Form
UI Health employees including pharmacists working in ambulatory pharmacies have different requirements under the law as outlined here: FFCRA and Leave Options.
C. Temporary Coronavirus Paid Leave – Expired April 4, 2022
The paid time off for COVID-19 related reasons provided under the federal American Rescue Plan and Families First Coronavirus Response Act ended September 30, 2021 and has not been renewed by the federal government. On a temporary basis, the University of Illinois System will continue to provide a limited amount of paid time off to eligible employees in support of COVID-19 vaccination requirements and isolation orders. This leave time is available October 1, 2021 until further notice, or until further state or federal guidance is available.
Effective January 9, 2022, and until further notice or further state or federal guidance, Temporary Coronavirus Paid Leave also covers time off needed when required to quarantine due to COVID exposure based on federal, state or local public health requirements.
D. COVID-19 Paid Administrative Leave – Effective April 5, 2022
In accordance with Public Act 102-0697, the University of Illinois System offers COVID-19 Paid Administrative Leave to eligible employees.
As of April 5, 2022, eligible employees may request leave under this program for absences related to qualifying COVID-19 reasons. This program is effective during any time the Governor has declared a disaster due to a public health emergency pursuant to Section 7 of the Illinois Emergency Management Agency Act and the University of Illinois System, the State of Illinois, or any of its agencies, or a local public health department has issued guidance, mandates, or rules related to COVID-19 that restrict an employee from being on University property due to the qualifying reasons.
COVID-19 Paid Administrative Leave time is separate from accruable personal sick leave. It does not carryover from previous allocations, is not accruable, and does not carryover once leave availability expires. Employees are not entitled to reimbursement for unused leave upon termination, resignation, retirement, or other separation from employment.
Employees of UI Hospital and Health Sciences System should contact their leave representative for paid administrative leave related to COVID-19 available to health care employees.
Detailed information regarding the paid leave is posted at: https://www.hr.uillinois.edu/cms/One.aspx?portalId=4292&pageId=1763985
COVID-19 Restored/Retroactive Leave
Additionally, in accordance with Public Act 102-0697, the University of Illinois System offers COVID-19 Restored Sick Leave and Retroactive Paid Administrative Leave to eligible employees who were employed as of April 5, 2022, the Act’s effective date.
Detailed information regarding the paid leave is posted at: