Academic and Civil Service Exempt Vacation and Sick Leave Reporting Fall 2022
Academic and Civil Service Exempt Vacation and Sick Leave Reporting Fall 2022 Heading link
The Academic and Civil Service Exempt Benefit Usage reporting period will soon be open. The below information will help guide units who still utilize a manual process for updating the Banner form PEALEAV.
Adherence to the following deadlines is critical when direct entering benefit usage manually into the Banner system for the second reporting period:
- Academic employees: Data entry into Banner beginning August 16, 2022 and no later than September 6, 2022.
- Civil Service exempt employees: Data entry into Banner beginning August 22, 2022 and no later than September 3, 2022.
Colleges/Units that currently use GoTime or the University AVSL tool will NOT need to complete these steps manually. Instructions for the various electronic time reporting tools should be adhered to instead.
Mass communications will NOT be distributed to affected employees. Please communicate and/or begin to gather the necessary information for your affected exempt employees.
University policy requires that exempt benefit leave reporting be reported at least twice a year, in May and in August. Units should be collecting vacation and sick leave usage from their exempt employees in preparation for the second 2022 reporting period.
This reporting period is to record amounts used May 16, 2022 through August 15, 2022 (AP & Faculty) and May 15, 2022 through August 20, 2022 (Civil Service Exempt). Please remember that leave usage entered in Banner during this reporting period should be the cumulative usage for the period covering August 16, 2021 through August 15, 2022 (AP & Faculty) and August 22, 2021 through August 20, 2022 (Civil Service Exempt).
Reporting Period Table Heading link
|Reporting Period||Cumulative Usage Period|
|Academic||5/16/2022 – 8/15/2022||8/16/2021 – 8/15/2022|
|Civil Service Exempt||5/15/2022 – 8/20/2022||8/22/2021 – 8/20/2022 (BW19 -BW18)|
Key Reminders for Updating Heading link
Key Reminders for Updating
- Employees should NOT be entering their own leave usage in Banner. If one individual enters usage for all exempt employees in that unit, department, and/or college, a different individual must be identified to enter usage for that person. There are no exceptions to this process.
- Exempt employees should report any leave taken in hours, keeping in mind that one full-time day equals eight hours for employees on a 40-hour work week (7.5 hours for employees on a 37.5-hour work week). For example, if your full-time employee works 40 hours a week and they have taken 10 vacation days and 2 sick days, you would report 80 hours of vacation leave used and 16 hours of sick leave used. Exempt employees exempted by FLSA (not eligible for overtime), must report absences in half- and full-day increments only (except when leave is taken under the Family and Medical Leave Act). Absences in increments less than half- or full- days should not be charged against vacation or sick leave balances.
- Part-time and alternative schedule employees report absences as appropriate based on their schedule. Generally speaking, the employee reports either half-day or a full-day based on their scheduled hours for the day.
- As a general reminder, when an employee separates from the University, departments should use the same Banner process updating in order to bring leave balances current for any compensable benefit payout and for final reporting of non-compensable, cumulative sick for SURS reporting.
- Academic Vacation and Sick Leave Reporting: https://hr.uic.edu/employees/time-off-leaves/academic-vacation-sick-leave/
- Civil Service Exempt Leave Reporting: https://hr.uic.edu/employees/time-off-leaves/cs-exempt-leave-reporting/
- Unit Security Contact List: https://www.aits.uillinois.edu/access/find_my_usc
General HR or Leave Reporting Inquiries: UIC HR Service Center (312) 413-3490 or
- email@example.com (for Academic inquiries)
- firstname.lastname@example.org (for Civil Service inquiries)
Technical Issues: UIC HR Help Desk, (312) 413-4848 or UICHRHelpdesk@uillinois.edu