Your browser is unsupported

We recommend using the latest version of IE11, Edge, Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Changing Jobs at UIC

What to Expect When Changing Jobs Heading link

UIC is a dynamic and diverse organization offering a great variety of employment opportunities. Job seekers will find many options for employment and many available career paths. As a public institution, UIC employment is governed by several legislative and regulatory bodies. Therefore, changing jobs may also entail changes in pay schedule, benefits eligibility, seniority rights, or other employment details.

The sections below provide an overview of what to expect if changing jobs involves a change in place of employment or to a different employment status or classification. For questions about how changing jobs may impact employment status please consult a department or unit human resources professional.

While UIC encompasses the campus departments and the Hospital & Health Sciences System, they are considered separate places of employment. As separate places of employment, there are separate hiring and promotional registers for Civil Service employees.

If a Civil Service employee wants to move between separate places of employment, they will forfeit all seniority in their classification at their existing place of employment and will be placed at the bottom of the classification seniority register at their new place of employment.

In the event of a layoff, Civil Service employees hired or working at the Medical Center and Clinics on or before May 22, 2000 may have bumping rights onto the UIC campus. Campus employees are not able to bump into positions in the Medical Center and Clinics.

Civil Service employment is governed in accordance with theState Universities Civil Service System (SUCSS) statutes and rules as well as UIC policies and procedures regarding benefits, disciplinary actions, and other terms and conditions of employment. Many Civil Service positions are under the auspices of a labor agreement, which may have additional work rules, salary implications, and stipulations.

Employees who are in an Academic Professional (AP) position and voluntarily obtain a Civil Service position will be covered under Civil Service and UIC terms of employment on the first day of their employment. Academic Professional employees whose positions were misclassified and are converting to Civil Service as a result of the job analysis project will receive notice rights prior to converting. Notice rights are based upon length of service and funding source.

As a result of moving from Academic Professional to Civil Service employment, the employee can expect the following changes:

  • Bi-weekly paychecks as opposed to monthly.
  • Voluntary deductions (parking, 403(B), 457, etc.) will be taken bi-weekly rather than monthly. Employees should contact the appropriate office to ensure proper deductions are made.
  • Vacation accrual must be accrued prior to use.
  • Vacation accrual for non-exempt employees ranges from 12 and 25 days, depending on years of service.
  • Vacation accrual for exempt employees ranges from 25 and 28 days, depending on years of service.
  • Sick time accrued at the rate of 0.0462 hours for each hour worked, not eligible for the 13 days extra sick time.
  • Accrues seniority in Civil Service classifications and gains seniority rights.
  • Position may become eligible for overtime based, on the classification.
  • Position may be represented by a union, based on the classification.
  • Position is no longer appointed by the Board of Trustees.

Academic Hourly employees are eligible to be classified as Hourly-Faculty/Clinical/Research Employees who are compensated on an hourly basis (with no set percentage appointment of FTE), possess a minimum of a bachelor’s degree, and are engaged in activities specific to teaching, clinical, or research duties. Academic Hourly employees are paid only for hours worked on a bi-weekly basis and are eligible for overtime. Faculty are not eligible for benefits.

If an employee classified as Academic Hourly successfully obtains full-time Academic employment, he or she will be under the same terms of employment and receive the same benefits as a regular Academic employee.

As a result of moving to Academic Hourly to Academic Full Time the employee can expect the following changes:

  • Monthly paychecks as opposed to bi-weekly.
  • Will accrue vacation and sick time.
  • Position may no longer be eligible for overtime.
  • Position must be appointed by the Board of Trustees.

Academic Professional positions are positions at the University of Illinois Chicago which support teaching, research and service missions of the University in many capacities. These positions range from Research or Administration to Health Care support positions. Academic Professionals are employed at the University through the University’s Board of Trustees. Click on the links to learn more about University Statutes affecting Academic Professionals and University General Rules.

UIC Human Resources compensation makes the determination as to whether a classification is exempt from Civil Service statutes and can be classified as an Academic Professional position. Academic Professionals are paid monthly, typically around the 16th of each month. An Academic Professional’s job title, salary, and employment period is outlined in their Notice of Appointment (NOA) issued by the Board of Trustees. Learn about the benefits available to Academic Professionals.

Graduate Assistantships are awarded to graduate students as part of their financial support. Graduate Assistants must be enrolled in graduate courses as determined by their department and may work as Teaching Assistants, Research Assistants, or in Graduate Administrative positions. Hours of work are limited to 0.25 FTE to 0.67 FTE in return for a monthly stipend (wage) and base tuition and service fee waiver.

Graduate Teaching and Graduate Administrative Assistants are covered under a collective bargaining agreement with the University that sets out minimum stipend (wage) and terms and conditions of employment.

Graduate Hourly positions do not work regular hours or receive a tuition waiver, are not covered under a collective bargaining agreement, and are paid on an hourly bi-weekly basis, generally for short term projects while enrolled as graduate students.

Upon completion of their graduate studies, some individuals may seek permanent employment with the University. Post-Doctoral and other graduates who have received their degree within the previous five years may seek full or part time, grant or state funded academic positions, including: post doc research fellowship; lecturer; instructor; teaching associate; research associate; and clinical associate. They may also seek full or part time, grant or state-funded Academic Professional positions with the University. Permanent positions may be limited in time, particularly academic post doc, grant funded or visiting Academic Professional positions. As with any University employment, these positions accrue benefits in accordance with University policy.