Performance Goals and Career Planning
The University of Illinois Chicago is an acclaimed research institution that boasts one of the most ethnically rich and culturally diverse campus communities in the country and is located in one of the world's most vibrant and exciting cities. There is no better place than UIC to grow professionally. A wealth of learning and development opportunities exist to support continuous professional and competency development.
About The UIC Employee Performance Program Heading link
Excel at work by developing a strong understanding of management’s expectations and how your role is related to the success of your department.
- Establish job performance Goals and Expectations each year.
- Seek guidance from supervisors and colleagues throughout the year.
- Participate in Your Annual Review at the end of each year.
Build Your Competencies
Develop professional competencies at UIC by partnering with your supervisor to develop a structured learning agenda.
- Review UIC Core Competencies.
- Confirm competencies that require further development.
- Discuss a competency development plan with your supervisor.
- Review Professional Development Resources for targeted competencies on the UIC Human Resources website.
About UIC Competencies
A competency is a set of associated knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to successfully perform job-related tasks. UIC has identified core competencies for all employees and management competencies for those in supervisory roles. The Employee Performance Program aligns competency development with performance management to encourage employees to develop professionally.
The “How” versus “What” of Performance
Job descriptions generally include the purpose, duties, responsibilities, scope, and working conditions for a particular job. These are the “what” of job performance; information used to determine required job knowledge and work quality.
Competencies are those capabilities that govern “how” an individual manages personal performance in the workplace. Using UIC’s competencies to guide performance management employees collaborate with their supervisor in the development of capabilities as a professional no matter what individual job responsibilities may be.
Pursue Professional Interests
Build upon current skills by accessing professional development opportunities on the UIC Human Resources website.
- Identify professional learning interests.
- Confirm Professional Development Resources available through the University of Illinois, UIC, learning partners such as LinkedIn Learning, and other professional sources.
- Participate in classroom, web-based, and standalone or facilitated sessions to further professional growth.