Reporting the Death of a UIC Employee, Spouse or Dependent
A family member who loses a spouse or dependent should take the following steps when confronted with this difficult situation.
Notify the University : Heading link
A family member must notify the University as soon as possible when a member passes away. While it should generally start with the employee’s unit/department, the family member can also contact University Payroll and Benefits [email address/phone number] to start the process in order to gather all necessary information.
If the employee was in a Benefits-eligible appointment and you, the designated beneficiary, are also employed within the UI system in a Benefits-eligible appointment, please make sure to work with the University Payroll and Benefits office to determine if additional changes need to be made for health coverage.
Gather Necessary Documentation: Heading link
In the event, there is a final check and/or compensable benefits, a death benefit will be payable to the designated beneficiary (ies).
The benefits payable upon the death of a UI employee can vary depending upon many factors including whether or not the UIC employee member was in a SURS eligible appointment, had a 403B plan or worked and is due a final check after the date of passing including any compensable vacation/sick payout. If this is applicable, the below documents will be required.
- A certified copy of the Original Death Certificate .
- A copy of the will or small estate affidavit or Judge’s Letter of Administration/Office
- A copy of the government issued photo identification (ex: Driver’s License, State ID, Passport) of the person representing the estate
- Vendor Information Form (to be completed and submitted online or hand delivered to University Payroll and Benefits)
If necessary, work with External agencies: Heading link
There may be times in which external agencies need to be contacted depending on what the employee participated in. You can work with the University of Illinois at Chicago Benefit counselors for more information.
University Payroll and Benefits
809 S. Marshfield Avenue
1st Floor MC-547
Chicago, IL 60612-7205
Walk-In Hours: 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Phone Hours: 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Phone: 312-996-7200 (Phone Number requires dialing all 10-digits)
Benefits Fax: 217-244-3135
Payroll Fax: 312-996-1932
Benefits Email: email@example.com
- SURS eligible employees: http://www.surs.org/survivor-benefit
- Benefit Eligible employees: My Benefits Service Center: 844-251-1777
- Securian Financial (formerly Minnesota Life Insurance): https://www.hr.uillinois.edu/myinfo/lifeevents
- TIAA: 800-842-2776
- Fidelity: 800-343-0860
- Deferred Compensation Plan: 217-782-7006
If you are a unit assisting with the transaction process, please review the Procedures for Deceased Employees for more detailed information regarding the specific process.