About Temporary/Extra Help
Definition of Temporary/Extra Help
(Extra Help Services and in-house Temporaries) Extra Help are a non-status appointment under the State Universities Civil Service System Statutes and Rules. The Appointment must meet the following conditions:
- The amount of time for which the services are needed is not usually predictable.
- Payment for work performed is usually made on an hourly basis.
- The work cannot readily be assigned either on a straight time or on an overtime basis to a status employee.
- An Extra Help position may be utilized for a maximum of 900 hours of actual work in any consecutive 12 calendar months.
- An Extra Help position that has accrued 900 consecutive hours shall not be reestablished until six months has elapsed from the date of the termination of the position.
- For more information, please see Extra Help Administrative Changes Memo.
State Universities Civil Services System Statute and Rule 250.70 section f
Job Review Process
Compensation of Extra Help employees shall be made in accordance with established, approved UIC pay plans.
Extra Help increases are requested by the employing unit.