About Temporary/Extra Help
Definition of Temporary/Extra Help Heading link
(Extra Help Services and in-house Temporaries) Extra Help are a non-status appointment under the State Universities Civil Service System Statutes and Rules. The Appointment must meet the following conditions:
- The amount of time for which the services are needed is not usually predictable.
- Payment for work performed is usually made on an hourly basis.
- The work cannot readily be assigned either on a straight time or on an overtime basis to a status employee.
- An Extra Help position may be utilized for a maximum of 900 hours of actual work in any consecutive 12 calendar months.
- An Extra Help position that has accrued 900 consecutive hours shall not be reestablished until six months has elapsed from the date of the termination of the position.
- For more information, please see Extra Help Administrative Changes Memo.
Governing Statutes/Policies Heading link
State Universities Civil Services System Statute and Rule 250.70 section f
Job Review Process Heading link
Compensation of Extra Help employees shall be made in accordance with established, approved UIC pay plans.
Pay Increases Heading link
Extra Help increases are requested by the employing unit.