Supervisors support unit operations by allocating staff and other resources efficiently to accomplish operational goals. Promoting an environment of continuous improvement to manage resources and maintain standards are key to allocation of resources. Creating teams with diverse work skills, work styles, and experiences encourages sharing of best practices to produce high quality work.
Allocating Resources in Practice
- Determines staffing, resources, and training required for effective department operations
- Seeks to consistently accomplish department objectives in an effective manner
- Creates a work climate in which performance efficiency is valued and rewarded
- Collaborates with employees to establish goals
- Works proactively to secure additional resources for the department
- Monitors resource availability
- Makes contingency plans to ensure availability of adequate resources in event of unforeseen circumstances
- Recommends methods for streamlining processes
- Identifies ways to maintain level and quality of work while utilizing fewer resources
- Forms teams that include a diverse mix of work styles, perspectives, and experiences
Leadership Essentials, a two-day training session, is designed to provide new managers and supervisors with information required to function in their role more effectively. Training includes a pre-session assessment tool, facilitated discussions about managing work teams at UIC, detailed information about application of key HR policies and post-session management tools.